Saturday, 5 November 2011

Nussecken - Nut corners/wedges


A Nussecke (singular) is a triangle shaped German biscuit made from a butter biscuit/shortbread/jam drop biscuit base, topped with apricot jam and a hazelnut butter mixture. The corners or sides of the Nussecke are then dipped into melted chocolate. So, if you're a fan of hazelnuts, Nutella, apricot jam and chocolate, I think you would enjoy these. They're very good; nutty, buttery and fruity....

For those after a direct translation; Nuss = nut and Ecke = corner. However, I think 'nut corner' sounds a bit weird, so perhaps 'nut wedge' is better. You will find these biscuits in German bakeries all year round. If you ever visit Germany, you must go to the bakeries! Even the chain bakeries are good! Can you buy Nussecke in Australia? I've never seen one for sale....But, even if I had, I would not buy one as they are so easy to bake at home!

Nussecken
Makes 24 Nussecken triangles
-- This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found while flicking through a German baking book in Munich. I do not know what the book was called, but after googling, it seems nearly all Nussecken recipes are the same.
-- The base of the Nussecken should be around 1cm thick. Mine were somewhat thinner. If you would like a thicker base, remember to use a smaller tin.

What you need
Base
Topping
 In regards to the hazelnuts, I used 150g hazelnut meal and 50g almond meal. I couldn't find a 200g packet of hazelnut meal in the supermarket and already had almond meal at home

Chocolate corners
You would usually just use chocolate and not Fererro Rochers as well. As Nussecken use hazelnut, I thought it would be nice to incorporate the Rochers
What you need to do
Base

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin.
2. Mix flour with baking powder in a bowl, mix in sugar and make a well in the centre.
3. Place the egg in the well, incorporate into the flour mixture and add the vanilla.
4. Chop up butter into small pieces, add to the flour mix and mix some more.
5. Once all incorporated, use your hands to make a dough.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate as you proceed to the next steps.

Topping
7. Place butter, sugar and water into a saucepan and heat gently until melted.
8. Add hazelnut meal and almond meal to the butter mixture and mix well.

Assembly
9. Take the dough out of the fridge and unwrap.
10. Roll the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle shape (or to the shape of your slice tin if it is not rectangle) and place into the slice tin.
11. Push the dough to the sides of the slice tin with your fingers, so the complete base of the tin is covered.

The 20cm x 30cm tin seems at first just a bit big for the amount of base mixture. However, after a while, you will eventually have the base mixture covering the whole tin

12. Spread apricot jam evenly over the base.

 Be careful not to spread too much apricot jam over the base. I said to use 1/2 a jar, but I do not know how big the jar was that I used (it was home made jam)....just use your initiative and you will see how much you nee. My hand is so veiny!

13. Spread the hazelnut/almond mixture over the apricot jam and the base.

Looks like minced meat.... I found the easiest way to spread the hazelnut/almond mixture over the base was to use two spoons

If you used too much apricot jam you will notice when spreading the nut mixture, that all of the jam will just be pushed to the sides. You can tell I used too much jam from this photo

14. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the top of the hazelnuts are golden brown and the base is cooked.
15. Once cooked, let the Nussecken 'slab' cool in the tin.
16. When cool, chop the Nussecken 'slab' into triangles. I did this by cutting six 10cm x 10cm squares (as I used a 20cm x 30cm cake tin and have access to many rulers) and then cutting each square into four triangles.

Yay, Nussecken!

17. Melt the chocolate/s in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water.
18. Dip the corners of each Nussecke into the chocolate and leave to set on some baking paper or on a plate.

 I dipped only half of the Nussecken into the chocolate. I prefer the ones without chocolate. The best Nussecken are the ones from the side of the pan, as the apricot jam has caramalised on the side of them;)

So that is how you make Nussecken and you've also learnt two German words:) Let me know if you give the Nussecken a try:)

Not related to Nussecken.... I am wondering if anyone can guess what this yellow flower is;)

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I haven't tried nussecken yet but from the ingredients and description I know I'd really like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ****Lorraine****
    You're missing out;) I've eaten so many I think I feel sick haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with lorraine. I can already tell that i would love these just by looking at the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of a gooey baklava. Yum :) I could go one of these with my cup of tea right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so very nice and rich. I think I would require several good cups of tea to wash it down. Yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ****Crustabakes****
    What good taste you have:)

    ****Cassandra****
    I've never had a baklava, but I am pretty sure I would like it. Mmm tea!:)

    ****InTolerant Chef****
    The good thing about Nussecken, is they have the perfect amount of richness. Not too rich and not too...un rich..(I am so good at English!)

    Thank you for visiting everyone!

    ReplyDelete