Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Duesseldorf chicken

Are you as shocked as I am? I put some effort into a savoury dish! You have probably realised that I do not find making savoury as fun and enjoyable as baking a cake or preparing another sweet dish; there is no licking raw egg mixture from the bowl involved! That is my favourite part;) If you eat well during the week and do enough exercise, you can lick the bowl once a week and will still be able to fit into your party dress/suit. In the wee hours of this morning I went for a crazy fast power walk in order to fit into above mentioned party dress if the occasion arises. I have noticed something; it seems that morons drive around the streets in the wee hours of the morning.

For some reason, certain early morning drivers feel the need to toot their horns at me. I do not know what it is about me that attracts their attention as I look like a bogan in my exercise clothes, sometimes wear EAR WARMERS....and I pick flowers from the side of the road. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Perhaps they are laughing at me, perhaps they are jealous of my ear warmers or perhaps they are jealous of my beautiful bouquet of flowering weeds.

Whatever it is, I do not like it. If they drive down a side street, I try to follow them so I can find where they live, knock on their door, ask what their problem is and discuss the incorrect use of a warning signal with them. Unfortunately I have never been able to find where these morons live.

I have a plan for my next walk. When someone toots at me....I am going to....get ready....shake my fist! That will stop them! Would you like a girl who walks stupidly fast in ear warmers, holding a bunch of weeds shaking her fist at you? You'd be scared, right?


I named the savoury lunch I prepared, Duesseldorf chicken, as the recipe I based this on was consumed quite a lot by me when I was in Duesseldorf, Germany. The original recipe involves cubes of fried pumpkin, feta cheese and walnuts mixed through pasta. Ewww pasta. As I no longer consume pasta and grains (except for cake) I altered the recipe, making it grain free. Yay!

Duesseldorf chicken
Adapted from recipe by Mr S  
Serves 3 - they're not big servings, butthey are filling!
You can freeze it to consume later, but it does not taste as nice after reheating and the feta will not hold its shape

What you need


  • 1/2 a pumpkin, chopped into pieces
  • 2 chicken thighs, chopped into pieces
  • Olive oil (around a tablespoon)
  • 3-4 tablespoons pesto (You can use any pesto you wish. I used a packaged basil, cashew and parmesan pesto but you can find the recipe HERE)
  • Handful chopped walnuts
  • Small block of feta cheese, cut into cubes

 What you need to do
  1. Boil pumpkin until soft. Mash and keep warm.
  2. Add a little olive oil to a hot pan, add chicken to the pan and fry until cooked through.
  3. When chicken is cooked, add pesto, walnuts and feta to the pan and mix together.
  4. To serve, place mashed pumpkin onto a plate and top with the chicken pesto mixture.

Other
  • Make a salad: Boil, roast or fry cubes of pumpkin and add to the chicken mixture. Serve with salad leaves.
  • I am thinking beetroot could go well with this recipe...though I imagine everything would turn purple.
  • Wild garlic pesto is great with this recipe. Does anyone know if you can buy it in Australia?



A tasty, filling grain free recipe and if you make the pesto yourself, it is also very healthy. The saltiness/creaminess of the feta is very nice against the walnuts, and the walnuts provide a wonderful crunch. I bought all the ingredients from the market and they totalled $14! That is $4.60 per serve! Note that I did purchase the pesto; if you make it yourself the cost is likely to rise depending on what ingredients you need to purchase and the quality of these ingredients.

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean :) Mr Bao is always nagging me to make more savoury dishes but I still like baking more hehe

    This dish looks really nice ~ I love chicken and pumpkin hehe I rarely make savoury dishes but when i do its usually chicken :)

    ps. I don't eat a lot of pasta anymore either hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I'm sure they're say hello! I'm sure you look suitably attired for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ****Daisy****
    You could allocate yourself to the sweet dishes and Mr Bao to the savoury. Then you have both:)
    I like to cook chicken too, as I find it easier to tell when it is cooked compared to other meats. My steaks always look like they're cooked form the outside, only to be completely raw in the middle.

    ****Lorraine****
    Oh always:) Like the time I went to the ballet (I bought cheap tickets 10 minutes before the show - some rich people cancelled last minute) in jeans, a penguin jumper and sneakers... Everyone else was in suits and pretty dresses and looking at me hehe :|


    Thanks for visiting. Have a happy public holiday Yay!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks colourful and delicious! I prefer savoury, or so I keep telling myself so this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! that looks delicious. I love pesto and have a big of frozen cubes. Will use that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ****Anna****
    Prefering savoury is a good thing!

    ****Penny****
    What a great idea! I never thought of freezing pesto.

    ReplyDelete