Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Mieze's plum cake

I was never one of the 'cool kids' at school. I liked books and went to the library each lunch time to read them while other children played games with their friends (I did not have any as I was the class nerd and other children hated me for having a brain that functioned). So, what do I do when I am in Sydney? I visit the library of course! A man at a Thai take away stall at the Paddington market said I am a 'super star', so I guess visiting libraries whilst on holidays is what 'super stars' do:) Super stars such as myself also find joy and happiness by repeating the name 'Margheriti' over and over and over...

At Penrith library I found a beautiful recipe for a plum cake. Yes, I judged the recipe by the photo and luckily the cake tasted just as good as the photo looked!



Mieze's plum cake
From Good Living Summer by Jill Dupleix, Brigitte Hafner and Stephanie Alexander
I used 6 plums instead of the 10-12 recommended and used slightly less sugar and butter in the topping. The recipe recommends to use a 26cm spring form tin, but my 21cm tin worked fine.
Serves 8-10



What you need


For the topping
  • 50g butter
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 eggs, beaten
For the cake
  • 180g butter, softened
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 135g plain flour
  • 135g self raising flour
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 70ml milk
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 6 plums, cut in half and stones removed


What you need to do
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and line the bottom of a 21 cm spring form tray with baking paper, and grease the sides.
  2. Topping: Melt butter and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. When cool, stir in beaten eggs. Leave to the side.
  3. Cake: Cream butter and sugar.
  4. Stir in flours and salt.
  5. Add beaten eggs and milk and combine to form a soft mixture. According to the book, the mixture should fall from the spoon when scooped up.
  6. Place the mixture into the baking tin. The cake will rise quite a bit, so the mixture should only come 1/4 of the way up the side of the tin.
  7. Smooth the top of the mixture with a spoon and sprinkle the almond meal on top.
  8. Pat down the mixture with your hands and place the plums on top, top side up, starting from the outside.
  9. Pour the topping mixture over and around the plums.
  10. Reduce oven temperature to 180 degrees and place the cake into the oven.
  11. Bake the cake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked in the middle (from my photos you can see mine was slightly undercooked)
The recipe recommends to serve this cake warm with cream or ice cream. You can also warm up the cake by wrapping it in foil and placing it in the oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.




The cake is wonderful. When I took it out of the oven I could smell what reminded me of spiced wine; the dark purple plum juices mixing with the cinnamon in the topping. Under the plums is a moist buttery cake, which becomes slightly purple closer to the top. It is really very good and I want some more!:)

If you are not a fan of plums or cannot find any,  you could use other fruits, such as apples, pears, nectarines and peaches for example. Or, you could use a mixture of fruits on the top of your cake. I am also thinking if you did not have any fruit on hand, you could probably use jam as a substitute.

3 comments:

  1. Oh and plums are so plentiful and good at the moment too! Ahh my kingdom for a slice of this and a cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad that you had no friends at school. I have a son who was bullied for his first two years of high school and he had no friends and used to spend his lunchtimes in the library. Things improved for him and I hope they've improved for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ****Lorraine****
    They're everywhere, along with peaches and nectarines Mmm!

    ****Hotly Spiced****
    I am sure your son is now more successful and a better person than those who bullied him.

    ReplyDelete