I do not know what I did wrong. I followed the recipe, but the end result, a beautifully coloured pumpkin pie found its way straight to the compost bin after only one teaspoon was consumed. I seem to fail at healthy recipes.....
Primal pumpkin pie
Adapted from the ultimate walnut pie crust with pumpkin filling recipe from Mark's Daily Apple.
I used almond for my pie crust instead of walnuts, baked individual pies in ramekins instead of in one big dish and used cream for my filling instead of coconut milk.
Oh and I also have no idea what measurements I used. I experimented...perhaps that is where I went wrong?
What you need
For the crust:
- Baking power
- Almond meal
For the filling:
- Pumpkin, cooked and mashed
- Golden syrup
- Ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon
- Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to180 degrees and grease four ramekins with butter
- Combine all crust ingredients together in a bowl until a dough forms.
- Spread the dough evenly into the bottom and onto the sides of the ramekins to form a crust for the pie.
- Place the ramekins into an oven dish and fill up with water until the water is half way up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then take out of the oven.
- Combine all filling ingredients well.
- Spoon the filling into the ramekins and bake for 59 minutes. Mark days the pie should jiggle only a little bit at this stage.
As previously mentioned, I have no idea what I did so wrong. Perhaps they were just not to my liking, as is fresh mint and blue vein cheese. I am beginning to think that I should give up with healthy desserts. I only eat dessert on the weekend, so the sugar wont hurt me. But the flour....I do not know. It really does not agree with me, even though all medical tests say I am not intollerant to it.