Friday, 27 January 2012

The Ultimate Apple Cake Mission - January: Apple and passionfruit cake

On the hunt for my ultimate apple cake once again. January's apple cake is an apple and passion fruit cake. Having never used passion fruit in a cake before, I thought it would be exciting to test it out. The problem is, I cannot decide if I like passion fruit! At first I like it, then I begin to doubt my taste buds and decide I do not like it. Then I take another taste, to confirm that I do not like it, only to find out that I like it. When mother nature was handing out taste buds, I was either hiding under a rock or still playing hide and seek whilst all the other children had gone home and were laughing at me.


Apple and passion fruit cake
Adapted from the 'pear and almond cake with passion fruit glaze' recipe page 144-145 in The Australian Women's Weekly Home Baked recipe book and the 'passion fruit and apple cake' recipe on the Bespoke Press blog.

What you need


  • 185g butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1&1/2 cups almond meal
  • 1/4 cup plain flour
  • Stewed apple (around 2 apples worth)
  • 3 passion fruit
  • Walnuts (optional)

What you need to do
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line a baking tin (base and sides) with baking paper.
  2. Cream butter and sugar in a bowl.
  3. Add eggs one at a time to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition.
  4. Stir in almond meal and flour into the mixture and combine.
  5. Spoon half of the mixture into the baking tin.
  6. Spread stewed apples on top of the layer of cake mixture in the baking tin.
  7. Add passion fruit pulp to the mixture remaining in the mixing bowl and stir.
  8. Spoon the passion fruit mixture on top of the apples in the baking tin.
  9. Top with walnuts.
  10. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cooked through.

Notes
  • If you do not have stewed apples on hand, you can use sliced apples.
  • To stew apples, place chopped apples into a sauce pan and fill with 1cm depth of water. Cook the apples until soft.
  • You could add the passion fruit to the mixture in the first place and place large chunks of apple (not stewed) on top of the cake.


I found this cake strange, because of the fact it contained passion fruit. It was exactly the same as above; took one bite and liked it, then decided I did not like it...but oh, it's not so bad, I think I like it. I still cannot make up my mind.

As per the notes, next time I would add passion fruit to all of the mixture and place large chunks of apple on top of the cake. I found that splitting the cake into two as I did, caused the bottom half of the cake to become very moist, whilst the top was a little drier. The top of the cake has a lovely golden colour and looks very pretty but when you cut it and look at the side profile, it looks like something went wrong.

You can keep this cake in the fridge and it will 'set' a little more and have a texture which I found similar to a slice. I preferred it cold from the fridge compared to fresh at room temperature.

Individual agapanthus flowers and seed pods and a scabosia


December's apple and ricotta cake was definitely superior to this cake in my opinion. Perhaps February will be a luckier month for The Ultimate Apple Cake Mission and I look forward to it:)

    3 comments:

    1. Good luck with the Feb recipe! I really like passionfruit in cakes so I would have no doubt begged for a slice of this ;)

      ReplyDelete
    2. This looks so delicious! I love the fact your on an apple cake mission. I will have to try some of these recipes and see if we agree on the winner. I love passionfruit so I may lean towards this one ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. ****Lorraine****
      Thanks :) For sure you can have a piece!

      ****Gourmet Getaways****
      Only 10 more apples cakes to go, before a winner will be decided. Just hope I can think of 10 different styles of apple cake to make! Any ideas?

      ReplyDelete