Monday, 19 March 2012

Banana pikelets (grain and sugar free)


When I lived in Germany I enjoyed pancakes quite regularly. I would invite people over to my little apartment just to eat pancakes! (I would also invite people from the internet over to cut my hair in exchange for lessons on how to bake ANZAC biscuits). We'd have sweet pancakes with jam, Nutella and honey as well as savoury pancakes with butter, pesto and sliced meats on top. For this month's 'layer by layer' themed Blog Hop, I decided to revisit the legendary pancake, but a smaller, healthier grain and sugar free version.



This recipe is based on a handful of healthy pancake recipes I viewed on the internet. Unlike some of the recipes I found, this one only requires a few every day items that you are already likely to have at home. No strange and wonderful sugar substitutes or flour made out of vegetables involved at all!

Banana pikelets (grain and sugar free)
Makes 8 pikelets

What you need


  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon almond meal
  • 1 teaspoon of milk
  • Sprinkle cinnamon
  • Butter, for frying

     What you need to do
    1. Combine banana, egg, baking powder, almond meal, milk and cinnamon in a bowl.
    2. Heat a fry pan on the stove.
    3. Add a little butter to the fry pan and turn the heat down.
    4. Place tablespoon sized scoops of mixture into the pan and fry until bubbles form on the top.
    5. Gently flip the pikelets onto the other side and fry for a short time.
    6. Place pikelets onto a serving plate.
    7. Repeat the above process until all pikelet mixture is used.
    8. Serve pikelets with fruit and cream if you so desire.

    These were so good for what seems to simply be fried mashed banana with egg! The downside; the recipe only makes eight pikielets. However, as bananas are a bargain at the moment, you can afford to make more:)

    But, whatever you do, do not make apple pikelets. I thought they would be nice but no....I do not want to talk about the horrible apple pikelet experience.

    Apple pikelets. Never judge a pikelet by its appearance

    Oh a photo to share:)

    Look who is enjoying the figs tree:)


    If you would like to participate in this month's Sweet Adventures Blog Hop, take a look at the instructions on The Kitchen Crusader.

    18 comments:

    1. My 4 year old would love these! Apple pancakes are his current favorite breakfast (not kidding sorry!) I am sure he would adore banana ones. I like that you have made them with almond meal. Thanks for the tips.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You must make great apple pancakes. How do you make yours? I used the same recipe above, but swapped the banana for grated apple and added more cinnamon. I don't know why they were so bad!

        Delete
    2. How delicious... and I love the fig tree!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I need to try a good fresh fig. The only fresh one I had was half rotten:( Then I had a dried one a few weeks ago...also rotten. I have no luck!

        Delete
    3. I adore pancakes and just recently came across a recipe with banana and almond meal - they were lovely and I'd imagine yours are the same!

      ReplyDelete
    4. YUM! I could happily devour this in one sitting. The banana TOTALLY makes it healthy ;) lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, something that seems healthy that is actually healthy. Woah!:)

        Delete
    5. What a great idea :) They look amazing in spite of not having any grain flour to bind things together. I bet the apple pikelets tasted great tho!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Will you invite me over for pancakes too? : ) I'd love to have just pancakes with you ~

      I'm definitely taking your advice and only sticking to making banana pikelets and never making apple ones hehe

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sure:) Bring some of your favourite tea and we'll have a pancake tea party! :)

        Delete
    7. These look fantastic!! I've never tried almond meal pancakes, I'm going to try this.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I would never have thought you could make pancakes like this! Thanks for sharing via #SABH

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I was of the same opinion. Luckily, it works:)

        Delete
    9. nice opinion.. thanks for sharing..

      ReplyDelete
    10. I am so sorry for your flood of emails you are receiving from my blog. There's nothing I can do from my end but here is what I was able to find:
      http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/stop-email-notifications-for-comments-on-other-peoples-blogs
      I hope that helps and I am soooo sorry! I know how frustrating "spam" emails can be but please know it is nothing that I have done as I hate that as well = )
      You have a wonderful blog!!

      ReplyDelete