Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Frozen peach yoghurt
















































The weather warmed up and then it cooled down. Whilst rugged up inside my house I read an article on Australia's best gelato. This prompted me to make a healthier version; frozen yoghurt. Yes, I knew it would give me goosebumps as I consumed it, but I made it anyway.



Making your own frozen yoghurt is very simple. Here is how you do it with basic kitchen equipment.

Frozen peach yoghurt
Should make 3-4 scoops of frozen yoghurt

What you need

  • 6 peach slices (buy peaches in juice, not syrup. If peaches are in season you could use soft fresh peaches)
  • 6 tablespoons yoghurt (home made or if you purchase the yoghurt, find a natural yoghurt without all the scary ingredients)
What you need to do
  1. Mash peach slices with a fork or process in a food processor/blender.
  2. Place mashed peach slices into a ramekin or cup, add yoghurt and mix.
  3. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
  4. Once ice crystals have formed on the top of the yoghurt, mash and mix with a spoon and place back into the freezer for two hours.
  5. Mash the yoghurt once again and leave it out for a little while until it can be scooped into a ball using an ice cream scoop.
  6. Serve.
























At first I was saddened that my method of processing the peach slices with a fork was not so effective. I was left with peach chunks instead of puree. However, I believe peach chunks enhanced the final product. It was lumpy and juicy.

I also noticed my yoghurt was a bit icey when I served it. Iff you do not mind ice crystals, then no problem;) I am thinking you could also mix the yoghurt in a food processor in step 3 to lessen this problem.

This is a great dessert and cold treat for a hot day. On a cold day however, make sure you have a warm drink afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! It's definitely the time of year for making ice team but I've never done it before. I was thinking about making a sorbet soon.

    ReplyDelete