Saturday, 8 December 2012

Wagaya, Haymarket, NSW

























After my first week of work here in Sydney, it was off to Wagaya on Friday evening. The plan was to eat at Wagaya and then see the new James Bond movie afterwards. As I like food greatly and do not really know what or who James Bond is, I decided to eat and skip the movie.

Wagaya is located in Haymarket, Sydney's China Town area. Haymarket can be reached on foot from the city. If you like markets, there is a market in Haymarket on Friday nights. Sixty stalls comprise the market situated in Dixon Street Mall and Little Hay Street. The market operates from 16.00 - 23.00 and there one can purchase things such as food, USB sticks and clothes.

Walking into Wagaya I looked into my bag to see if I had my night vision goggles with me. Unfortunately not. The restaurant is lit very dimly and I found it very hard to see objects and people in the foyer area.

























We were ushered to our table for the night, which was at the back of the restaurant. The tables are situated on each side of a cooridoor, lined with wooden walls with different sized rectangle holes in them. Therefore each table has its own little booth. Hmm...too hard to explain; see above and it may give you an idea of what I mean.

























Each booth is accompanied by an ordering unit attached to the wall. It is on this unit that one places an order. Simply locate your dish on the unit and press order. Remember, once you confirm you order you cannot go back. The order is sent straight to the kitchen and will be brought to your table as soon as possible.

We found the table service here to be extremely fast.

You would think one would order sushi at a Japanese restaurant. Sushi contains rice, a grain. Cannot eat! I stuck to protein for the night.

























Agedashi tofu, $6.20

The tofu was much like the tofu I had at Ginza. It was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and accompanied by some sort of syrup sauce. This was probably my favourite dish of the evening as it was the least greasy of them all.

























Beef skewers, price unknown

The beef skewers were made from strips of beef, wrapped around spring onions and topped with sesame seeds. Nothing spectacular in my opinion but tasty enough.

























Lotus root chips, $6.50

The lotus root chips were a stand out for the night. They tasted much like potato too me and were crisp. I highly recommend these, as they were great and also as I am unable to describe them properly. I think you have to taste them yourself.


























Eel skewer, $6.90

My stomach was filling and I was stupid enough to order more food which sent me past the 'I AM FULL' point, making me, too full. The eel was greasy. Now, I don't know if eel is normally greasy (last time I had it was 2 years ago and the memory has faded), or if it was the sauce on top of the eel making it so greasy. I also found it a little salty. Too salty for me.

Points for Wagaya for having FREE HOT WATER!

I adore hot water.

My favourite drink!:)

The beverage menu also includes other items such as cocktails (alcoholic and non alcoholic), beer, juices and spirits. There is also a dessert menu but I was too full to try anything:( How sad!

All things considered, I probably would not go back to Wagaya again. I found the food to be too greasy/oily for my liking. The prices were not too bad with all of my meals costing around $20. I believe that if you eat the sushi, you would have no issues with the place. Everyone I was with ate the sushi and enjoyed it.

























Obligatory photo of Sydney harbour bridge

After tea, the others went to see Mr Bond and I visited my sister who was in town, at the Opera Bar. Funnily enough, it is located at the Opera House. It was SO LOUD. WHAAAT? EVERYONE KEPT SAYING WHAAAT AND SPEAKING IN CAPS LOCK. WHAAAAAAT? SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU!! WHAAAAAT? After ten minutes I had a sore throat from yelling, so I called it a night. The view from the Opera bar, however is very beautiful.


What you need to know:
Where: Level 1, 78-86 Harbour Street, Haymarket NSW 2000
When: Seven days, 17.00-late
Website <-  Click me



Wagaya on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I really love Wagaya - there's quite a few touch screen ordering places in Sydney now, I love them.

    ReplyDelete